Home > Family Services > Family Services Office Hours – 12.07.11

Family Services Office Hours – 12.07.11

Hello everyone! Welcome to our Family Services Office Hours! We are here to help answer your questions, and provide you with some great resources!
Comment From rach

I have two boys with Autism no one in my family has autism why is this? Both boys are from two dfferent Dads and their is also Autism not found on either sides either.

Hi Rach. That is a great question. We don’t have all of the answers about autism and its causes, however what we do know is that most cases of autism appear to be caused by a combination of autism risk genes and environmental factors that influence early brain development.
You can email our Science team at science@autismspeaks.organd they are happy to answer more science-specific questions. You can read a lot more about autism and what causes it on our website at www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism
Alycia Halladay, a member of our Science team, had a live chat earlier this year about Increased Risk of Autism in Siblings. You can read the transcript here:http://blog.autismspeaks.org/2011/08/16/increased-risk-live-chat/
Comment From Jodie

Hi. I am looking for grants to help pay for an Ipad.

Hello – There are a number of organizations that have implemneted iPad grants to families. You can find them on our website in the Resource guide.
In addition, the Family Services Dept will begin it’s Technology Grant in January, 2012. Check back on our webiste for updates.
Comment From angie

my son is two and he speaks very little. how old does he need to be before he can be tested for autism or something like it?

Comment From Guest

Will someone PLEASE call me? My name is Terri Limberg. My home # is 417.681.0397 in Lamar, Missouri…We have private insurance but want to know if there is any assistance offered in having our 7 1/2 year old grandson Ezekiel professionally evaluated by a diagostic team for possible asbergers? We live paycheck to paycheck and just cannot pay the deductibe and out of pocket..

Hi Angie. Sometimes autism can be diagnosed as early as 18 months or before. If you suspect your son may have autism, you should call your pediatrician for an evaluation. You can read more about the signs of autism, and view videos about some of the symptoms at these 2 links: http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/learn-signs and http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/video-glossary
Hello Guest
– You can call the Autism Response Team – ART at 888-288-4762, staff are available e to answeer you question.
Comment From Darlene Baboo

I am the grandmother of an autistic grandson and found there isn’t much available in the state of Delaware any information you may have would be very helpful.

Hi Darlene. We have a very comprehensive Resource Guide that contains lots of resources and State Information. You can visit our Resource Guide at www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide, click on Delaware and search within your state.
We also have a great Support Tool Kit for grandparents, which may be helpful to you. You can view and download the kit for free at http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/community-connections/celebrating-grandparents
Comment From Guest

I have a 10 year old nephew that I baby sit. I cannot get him to sit on the potty to go #2 he would rather dirty his pants. He is very scared of the potty. What can I do to help him and get him trained he will pee in there but not the other nor at school.

Hello Guest – Potty Training a child with ASD can be a challenage and its important to work closely with his teacher or trained professional to set up a plan that can be implemneted across all enviromenets. There are a number of very helpful links to books on Toilet Training
Comment From Guest

I am a mother of three boys, all of whom are on the spectrum, and I am looking for resources in Cedar Park, TX (North Austin). We moved here four months ago and don’t know where to look.

Hi Guest. You can search our online Resource Guide for services in Cedar Park, TX at www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide. Simply click on Texas, click the category you are looking to search and then type in your zip code along with a mile radius. We suggest putting in a large mile radius because if there aren’t any within 5-10 miles or so, you can contact the ones a bit further away who may be able to help you or to point you to resources closer to you. All of these resources have been submitted by the providers themselves or by families in our community who have found them to be helpful.
Comment From David

My son is almost 18 now. He was diagnosed at an early age with ASD. His doctor mention to us that we need to think about filing for Social Security Disability for him. We are in Florida. Any advice before we start or what to expect?

Hi David- Family Services offer a great Tool Kit for free to parents of individuals with ASD. You can order the Kit at:
http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits/transition-tool-kit The Kit cover all areas related to transition and will give you information on Social Security Benefits. Please order it today!
Comment From misty

is there services in washington that medical covers

Hi Misty. We don’t list the services in our Resource Guide by fee schedule or by who takes what but you should search the guide and call the providers to check and see what insurance they take. I also suggest you search the Local Autism Organizations category, because those organizations in your area will most likely be better able to point you in the right direction and give you more specific information about local services.www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide
Comment From Rach

Are there any Autism support groups near Frankton, Indiana

Hello Rach – Family Services Resource Guide is a great resource for local autism services
Click on your state,and then click on a category, you will be asked to enter a zip code in the state you picked. After you enter your zip code and hit the enter key, a map of all the listings of that category in the state will appear.
Comment From misty

hi i have a boy 8yrs who has PDDnos? dont understand this diagnosis?

Misty and for those of you with recently diagnosed children. We have a 100 Day Kit and an Asperger Syndrome/High-Functioning Autism Tool Kit that we send our free of charge to families of children diagnosed in the last 6 months to help guide them through the months following diagnosis. You can order a FREE copy by calling our Autism Response Team at 888-AUTISM2.http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits/100-day-kit
You can also learn more about autism, its causes, treatments, etc. at www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism
Comment From Patty

Lately my 7 year old daughter with PDD has been flapping her hands more frequently. Is this something I should be worried about?

Hi Patty- Its important to understand why your daughter has increased this behavior. I would recommend you speak with her school team or other professionals who can help you to analyze the increase in this behavior . Individuals with ASD oftern use behavior as a way of communicating, and for that reason you will want to know her intentions. Be sure to consult with a professional who understands behavior and has expereince wirking with ASD individuals.
Comment From Jodie

With all of the cuts to special education, it has become difficult to get the services my son needs. How can I go about finding an advocate for help?

Hi Jodie. We have a list of advocates in our Resource Guide which you can search at www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guideby clicking on your state and then the Advocates page. We also have lots of information on our website about legal rights, including a comprehensive IEP guide about how to effectively get the services you need in school athttp://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/your-childs-rights
Comment From Rechelle

Wondering if there is any way to motivate an Aspie to do his homework/classwork?

Hi Rachelle – Since each person’s response is going to be different depending on what motivates them, I would recommend you consult with a professional who understand behavior and the ASD diagnosis.
In additon, Family Services offer a Aspergers’s Syndrome/HFA Tool Kit at
Comment From Sheri

Is there any kind of treatment assistance available in Texas that is not based on a parents income?

Comment From LATOYA


Hi Sheri and Latoya. You can search our Resource Guide for Family Grant Opportunities, as well as Local Autism Organizations in your area who may know of treatment assistance resources at www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide. We also have a list of family grant and assistance programs in our Resource Library at http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/resource-library/families-need
Comment From julie

My son is 11, high functioning PDD-NOS. Diagnosed in April. He has always coped well in school, but when he gets home it is like he releases all the stress of having to conform all day and can get very angry and likes to be alone in his room for as long as we will let him. Getting him to do his homework is sometimes impossible no matter what sort of boundaries, rewards, disciplines we have tried. How do I tell the school that so it can get in his IEP and affect his homework requirements? They tend to think it must be his home environment since he does “fine” at school.

Hello Julie- You raise a great question. How can I get something wrritten into your child’s IEP? Any parent has a right to call an IEP meeting and present information and request an assessment? Is the avoidant behavior observred in the classroom as well as the home enviroment? There are many questions you need answers to, as well as a plan that will be used in school and home. The Family Servies IEP guide will help you with this process:
Comment From Kimbyr

I am looking for grants in New Hampshire to help pay for ABA therapy. Any suggestions?

Hi Kimbyr! You can search our Resource Guide for Family Grant Opportunities, as well as Local Autism Organizations in your area who may know of treatment assistance resources atwww.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide. We also have a list of family grant and assistance programs in our Resource Library athttp://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/resource-library/families-need
Comment From Amy

Any tips on moving a 3-year-old with high-functioning autism from our bedroom to sharing one with his brothers?

Hi Amy– I would recommend you work with your pedatrician and other professional from your son’s Early intervention Team to come up with a plan that can be successfully implemented over time. You are absolutely right to seek help and advise on this significant transition. I am including links to our Sibling Support Guide and Sleep and Autism webpages.
Comment From Jennifer

What is a good diet to try my 4yr old son on he has Autism and is nonverbal and he loves to eat snacks over eating real food? What would be a good communication device for him?

HI Jennifer – I recommend you consult your child’s MD on the issue of nutrition. Children with ASD are known picky eaters, it will take a team effort to come up with a plan that can addresss all of the issues. I would ask your pediatrician for a referral to a professional who has expereince with nutrition with children with ASD
Here is a link to our Nutrition and Autism page, which has lots of great information and resources:http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/health-and-wellness/nutrition
You can also search the Diet/Nutrition category in our Resource Library http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/resource-library/diet-nutrition or search our resource guidewww.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide for professionals in your area
Comment From Claire Marie

Relocating from PA to DE. Any advise on how to make it a smooth transition?

Hello I want to let you know about our Resource Guide
http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/resource-guide, you can serach the DE resources in a variety of categories.
You may want to search the state information categories and call the state offices for more information about the resources and policies in DE for children with autism.
You may want to contact Autism Delaware, a great organization we have heard about in Delaware for families of individuals with autism: http://www.delautism.org/
Comment From Deborah

My son is 17 and a senior at a public high school. I have some questions: 1. Why is it that it is so difficult to find a professional who knows how to diagnose autism? My son was almost 17 before we found someone who diagnosed him properly and is finally helping him! 2. How do we prevent bullying or deal with it once it’s happened? My son has been bullied almost his entire school career; every day I worry I’m going to get a call about someone else who bullied him. The only response we get from administration is that they need a witness and often no one will come forward! 3. My son wants to go to college. What do we look for in a school that will help him to be successful both socially and academically? 4. Are there any grants or scholarships for Asperger’s or Autism students going to college? Where do I find them?

Hi Deborah – I want to offer you the link to the Transition Tool Kit,
the kit is available free online to parents whose children are 14-22 years old. You can order a kit online.
We also have a list of resources for young adults/adults with autism in our Resource Library that includes some college information: http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/resource-library/adults-autism
The Transition Tool Kit is an extremely comprehensive kit that contains a great deal of information about individuals with autism on their transition from school into adulthood. We can send one to you free of charge at the above link.
Deborah – I want to add a link to 3 articles on bullying and ASD
Comment From Laura

I need help finding counseling services for my thirteen year old son that has verbal apraxia with PDD. We are located in central Missouri near St. Louis.

Hi Laura! I suggest you search our vent comprehensive Resource Guide for services in your area. We have many listed in St. Louis and the surrounding towns: www.autismspeaks.org/resource-guide
You may also want to order our Transition Tool Kit which is very helpful for families of children with autism on the transition to adulthood: http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits/transition-tool-kit
Comment From Laura


Thank you all for joining us for Family Services Office Hours today! If we were unable to answer your questions, or you have anything else to ask, feel free to contact our Autism Response Team at 888-AUTISM2 or familyservices@autismspeaks.org.
We will see you right back here next Wednesday!
Categories: Family Services Tags: , ,
  1. December 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm

    As I read the “Freudian idea that autism results from being raised by an emotionally cold mother” I totally disagree. I am a very warm loving compassionate mother and I have two autistic sons. That debunks his theory for me and these people in France should be ashamed. They need to try to understand individuals with autism. Stop trying to place blame, it is internal not external. Lets move on to understanding and helping those who are dx. with autism.

  2. December 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

    Hi my name is Brooke. I have a wonderful 2 year old daughter with Autism. I have a problem with our insurance. In Michigan they cover nothing. I need to get 2 tests done to target her needs more specifically.We also live paycheck to paycheck,and when my DAN doctor told me she had the possibility of being recovered i was ecstatic. She recommended a food allergy test, CDSA,and Urine analysis.Ive paid for the food allergy but cannot afford the other 2 which cost around 450.00 each. I would do anything to help my daughter and it is so hard when everything comes out of pocket. Between her diet and everything else its hard.If anyone has any information on how I could get these done. That would be great. I think its about time these insurance companies covered these children’s needs. I don’t understand why they wont. Is it because more testing will get done and it may be more understood?I cant figure why you would deny such a huge disorder.Especially when its proven long term care costs way more than covering these children and adults with ASD.

  3. michelle smith
    December 17, 2011 at 1:30 am

    hi my name is michelle i have a 5 year old and a set twins their 2 that suffer from autism i would like to no if their any type of grants or some place where i can go to get help to move in to a house of my own and help with a few toys for my kids

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: